Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Added the kinect

I finally soldered and installed the kinect to the front of the robot. 

The kinect boasts an impressive array of sensors including an depth camera, RGB camera and microphones. My intention is to use the kinect for SLAM and maybe teleoperation. The microphone would be able to listen to commands such as "move forward". Technically it can also be used for a bunch of fancy stuff like gesture recognition, since its original purpose was to be a gaming console that tracks player's movements.

Naturally I've had to elevate the LIDAR so that the kinect isn't blocking the laser. This is not ideal because now the lidar can't detect objects that are below a height of 25 cm. So its going to have a hard time detecting the small stuff I might have on my floor. This limitation makes it worthwhile for me to learn computer vision and use the kinect camera for object detection.



No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW Project Autonomous underwater vehicle!

  I have been more and more interested in Autonomous Underwater Vehicles and ocean exploration. I live on the coast with direct access to th...